Promises

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Omerta Syndicate Forum Index -> Library and Gallery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vieve
Heron

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Promises Reply with quote

So, I was a bit bored today, fuzzy-headed on Dayquil, voice shot from Rock Band, not wanting to play Sims because I keep setting them all on fire, and unable to log in to EVE for domestic reasons (Monster is spending the Labor Day Holiday sick as a dog, requiring frequent tag-team manhandling into the bathroom before he yarfs on the rug: yea, verily, I lead a glamorous life).

So, what does a me do?

Me writes EVE Stuff for blog. Me gets stuck in current suicide/big reveal scene AGAIN, so me reads to try to shake my brain out of park.

Me reads other people's EvE stuff, because me can't be arsed to go upstairs and get my half-read copy of Jared Diamond's Collapse out of the master bath.

Me wonders why me using 'me' and British aphorisms. Me blames it on you, and me feels better.

And then I get inspired to write something else that's like, oh, happening now, probably because I have no idea what anybody's doing in character now, including Vieve. Not that this is a complaint.

If I knew, I couldn't make shit up about it when people ask.

The following was inspired by Ciarente's proposed answer to the question "How is KK dealing with its occupied Federation planets?" ("The Arderonne Occupation", http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1174635).

It's a self-centered take on some of what Lai Dai might be up to with theirs.

----

"Anchauttes." Vieve said to the air, while she removed the clear stretch wrap around one of the bundles stacked on her bed. She pulled a LDPS field jacket free, shook some of the wrinkles out of it, and shrugged it on over the white tank shirt she was wearing.

"Hmm." Her mother murmured, sounding as if she'd just been offered overcooked grenouille on an ugly plate. "Interesting that..."

Vieve made a face that Celeste couldn't see, fastened the jacket, and had a close look at it in the full length mirror she'd pulled down out of the bedroom ceiling. "Eh. I am surprised that it has taken this long, honestly."

"Will you be based stationside?"

"Planetside. Human Resources did a resumé sort, and it came up that I had experience coordinating urban remediation teams--"

"Not wholly by choice."

"Yes, I know, but the experience is still valid."

"I imagine your Mssr. Zhang might have something tart to say about the experience you gained during the Caldari Prime riots' being applied for the benefit of the Caldari in Placid."

"As would my Li-haan. Which is why she and I are not having that particular conversation unless it occurs to her that there is some other tedious thing that she wishes she had not contracted Omerta resources to." Vieve, satisfied with the jacket's fit, removed it, and began folding it neatly.

"And Jake?"

Vieve crouched to tuck the jacket into one of the open flight bags at her feet. "Work is work. Home is home. He is not fond of the idea of my accepting this assignment from Lai Dai, but..."

"'Not fond'."

"An understatement, yes, Maman. We had to replace most of the dining room furniture. Mercifully, not the Erbaumeille armoire you gave us. He broke his toe on that--" She straightened, pushed the unraveled stretch wrap to one side on the bed, and began opening another package. "--But he does understand why I am going, and yes, that it is not to have a réunion secrète with the potential future President of the Federation."

"Were I him, I'd be more concerned about General Soter. He may still have resources in the area."

"You are concerned that..."

"Your Jules might make you disappear? Quite. For multiple reasons and in multiple ways. Shall I list them?"

"Oh, I imagine I can come to those conclusions on my own. I have a long Interbus shuttle ride ahead of me."

"You're not flying in yourself?"

"Fate no, not entirely. I will be embedded in the local LDPS contingent. My being plugged into local capsuleer comms would likely attract too much attention."

Silence followed that admission.

"I can still hear you swearing, Maman," Vieve murmured. She took out a helmet, and popped it on top of her head without closing it around her face.

"And HOW, precisely, did you talk Jake into THAT? I didn't think you were physically capable of that many kilos per square millimetre..."

Vieve closed the helmet over her nauseated expression. "Maman, augh!" she protested. "There are orphans! LDPS anticipates there will be more. Lai Dai is putting people on the ground in their systems to make sure they are accounted for and taken care of. Hardly any worth in sacrificing future workers with a personal investment in their homes or abandoning them to potential starvation and likely delinquency, now is there?"

"You have no experience with children, Vie."

"Neither did you, Maman." She unfastened the helmet, and dropped it on the floor beside the bags. It didn't budge when she gave it a solid kick.

"My mistakes were made with two, my dear," Celeste said. "Not..."

A subtle shift in the tone of her mother's voice made Vieve not want to kick the helmet again. Not defeat. Not quite. Not sorrow. Not quite. "Not three?"

"Not three."

"I am sorry, Maman." She shut her eyes.

"No doubt it's for the best, hmm? Not like I don't have a surfeit of tasks to keep me occupied."

"You ... you have told Uncle Dex?"

"Ah, non."

More silence.

"I'd rather not speak of that subject again, Vie," Celeste eventually admitted.

"Understood."

"You do know, dear, if you ever called Nederland-haan 'Uncle' to his face, he might have kittens."

"Gray-blue asymmetrical kittens, no doubt. May Fortune grant I never inflict such upon him."

"Be careful?"

"I will do my best, Maman."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Han Renbai
Raven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting a bit concerned about the excesive us of "me" as well Wink

I think Han is in stasis...
Vieve
Heron

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Han Renbai wrote:
I was getting a bit concerned about the excesive us of "me" as well Wink

I think Han is in stasis...

Mmmm, nap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Omerta Syndicate Forum Index -> Library and Gallery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: